Sunday, January 27, 2013

Matthew 28:16-20 - The Atheists have a Point.

Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them.

When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen.
That's one way of putting it!
So the disciples are standing on the mountain, just before Jesus is to ascend into heaven.  And when they were looking at them with their own eyes, some still doubted. It reminds me of a youtube video I saw where a very educated lecturer who was explaining to the audience why it is not rational to believe in the existence of God said, If he were to see a man standing before him, whom he knew to have been dead, instead of believing that person had been ressurected, he'd have to believe the 'logical' thought that something was wrong with his own senses. I marveled at this and, yet, in some ways, the man is correct. We can be deceived by our own senses.  Surely, the devil masquerades himself as an angel of light. So is it wrong for a man to doubt his own senses?

This reminds me of many teachings I have heard of late were the speaker said that Faith itself is actually an act of the will.  People can wrestle within themselves about the matters of faith, whether they should believe or not, but it comes to a point where they simply must choose.  It turns out the atheists are right; you can't prove in the existence of God. But I think God planned it that way.

 The witness of most people's heart is that He does exist. Is this just mass delusion? Is it an evolutionary device to give hope to the species- false though it be- so that we can prosper? I think not. I believe God wants us to learn to trust Him. And in my own life, to make this happen today, I must use my will to remember all that He has revealed in Christ and in the Gospel.  I don't have to argue with others who disagree with me, I simply must believe.

The funny thing is, it isn't until you exercise your will to have faith that faith actually makes sense and turns out to be the most logical thing to have.  May God grant me the will to believe. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment