Friday, June 28, 2013

Matthew 5:33-41 - Take a long walk!

The Lord said, "You have heard that it was said to the men of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.' But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from evil. You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.
SE041HC0044
walk the extra mile
photo by flickr user, Pray4Serbia, used under the creative commons license.
check out more photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pray4serbia/


The Lord wants me to trust Him.  He does not want me to take oaths or promise to do things when, in reality, I have no idea what a day may hold for me. Instead, it is all as the Lord wills.  I cannot swear by God that I will do anything because I do not have the power to even change the color of my hair. So, I simply say, "yes" or "no" and leave the rest to God.  I should live for the moment that God has given to me and react to what is before me, as coming from Him.

Therefore, if someone tries to take my stuff, it's no big deal. If someone compels me to walk a mile with him, I can volunteer another mile. For I trust in the Lord and seek to find Him in the world around me.  I should not be moved by events that trouble others but, instead, trust in the Lord!

O Lord, help me to have a humble heart and to walk with my neighbor when they ask. For in walking with Him, I shall find You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment