Monday, March 18, 2013

Proverbs 1:1-20 - Don't be a Fool!

The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel: 
That men may know wisdom and instruction, understand words of insight, receive instruction in wise dealing, righteousness, justice, and equity; that prudence may be given to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth -- the wise man also may hear and increase in learning, and the man of understanding acquire skill, to understand a proverb and a figure, the words of the wise and their riddles. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and reject not your mother's teaching; for they are a fair garland for your head, and pendants for your neck. My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent. If they say, "Come with us, let us lie in wait for blood, let us wantonly ambush the innocent; like Sheol let us swallow them alive and whole, like those who go down to the Pit; we shall find all precious goods, we shall fill our houses with spoil; throw in your lot among us, we will all have one purse" -- my son, do not walk in the way with them, hold back your foot from their paths; for their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed blood. For in vain is a net spread in the sight of any bird; but these men lie in wait for their own blood, they set an ambush for their own lives. Such are the ways of all who get gain by violence; it takes away the life of its possessors. Wisdom cries aloud in the street; in the markets she raises her voice.
medieval fool
A Medieval Fool; not a job I'd like!
photo by Hans Splinter, used under the creative commons license.
check out more photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archeon/
Solomon, a man who prayed for Wisdom from God, begins his writings by telling us that The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.  Those who want to know true wisdom, to have understanding in matters that are really important, know that the place to start is in Awe and Reverence for the Lord. In contrast to that, there is the fool, who despises wisdom and instruction.  The fool, who rejects God and only sees the immediate gain, does not know he is responsible for his own destruction.  While the fool makes plans on how to defraud his neighbor- looking only to his own interests,- the one who would live in the Kingdom stands in awe of God.

Are fools trying to entice me to shed innocent blood? No, not really.  But I must be on guard not to follow the fool who would lead me from the Fear of the Lord. A blatant temptation to leave Christ is something I surely would recognize but are there not more subtle temptations I must be on guard against? I would quickly eschew any notion of denying Christ before men but do I deny him in other ways? By being silent when I should speak or speaking when I should be silent?   Do I not do violence to my own soul when I follow the fool as he ignores God?

O Lord, help me to be diligent in the Fear of the Lord. For by standing in awe of You, I gain understanding and wisdom.  And the wisdom I want is knowledge of the Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment