Friday, May 10, 2013

John 2:12-22 - Take a whip to it!


 At that time, Jesus came to Capernaum with his mother and his brothers and his disciples; and there they stayed for a few days.The Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers at their business. And making a whip of cords, he drove them all, with the sheep and oxen, out of the temple; and he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. And he told those who sold the pigeons, "Take these things away; you shall not make my Father's house a house of trade." His disciples remembered that it was written, "Zeal for your house will consume me." The Jews then said to him, "What sign have you to show us for doing this?" Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." The Jews then said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?" But he spoke of the temple of his body. When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this; and they believed the scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken.
He wants to be the newest member of Devo so he can, "Crack that whip!"
Crack the Whip!
photo by J. Rob McCullough, used under the creative commos license
check out more photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/people/orlandorob

Jesus had every right to be mad. His Father's house, which was made as a place of prayer so that all people could commune with God, was turned into a money-making enterprise.Those who ran the temple completely missed the point of the Temple and the people suffered because of it.  Jesus sought to return the temple to its proper use and He did it in an extreme manner.  He purged out the money-changers and had no use for God other than as a way to get rich. He restored the Temple as a house of prayer.

What must I purge out of my life? Surely there are money-changers in my heart which displaces God. They should be driven out with a forceful hand.  Is it too much time on the internet when I should be praying or reading for spiritual enrichment? Then let me take a whip to the computer and leave the room where it sits in favor for a quiet corner.  Let me drive out all that would distract me from communing with God and may the Zeal of God's house consume me!

O Lord, I drive out all that would distract me from you! I restore the temple of my heart to its proper use. With the help of the Holy Spirit, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment