Monday, December 2, 2013

Luke 21:12-19 - No need to Prepare a Speech

Cover your mouth
Keep quiet until the Spirit gives you the Words
photo by Flickr user, Frank V, used under the creative commons license
check out more of his work at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avantard/
The Lord said to his disciples, "Beware of men who will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors for my name's sake. This will be a time for you to bear testimony. Settle it therefore in your minds, not to meditate beforehand how to answer; for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which none of your adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict. You will be delivered up even by parents and brothers and kinsmen and friends, and some of you they will put to death; you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But not a hair of your head will perish. By your endurance you will gain your lives."

These instructions are for those who would lay down their lives for Christ, for those who know what it is to pick up their cross, deny themselves and follow Him.  For surely, if Christ, who is our Master, has suffered betrayal, persecution and even death, then why should we, who are His followers, expect anything different? What is good for the Master, is also good for the student.

Yet, we are not alone. Christ promises that not one hair on my head will perish, even if I am killed.  By enduring this hardship, I will gain my life.  Also, I am not to worry about what I shall say to my persecutors. Christ before Pilate was silent and yet He had the Words of eternal life. I am to trust solely in His Spirit who will give me wisdom beyond myself.  

O Lord, how I long for Your Spirit. I know all too well my own weakness. Therefore, in times of persecution, I rely upon Your Spirit who will give me the words to say. I also rely upon Your Spirit to give me strength to endure till the last day.  Thank you, Lord, for showing me I am weak for then I can with full confidence rely upon You. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment