Friday, December 13, 2013

Mark 9:33-41 - A cup of water in Christ's Name

In line
photo by Daniel Bachhuber, used under the creative commons license
see more photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielbachhuber/
At that time, Jesus and his disciples came to Capernaum, and when he was in the house he asked them, "What were you discussing on the way?" But they were silent; for on the way they had discussed with one another who was the greatest. And he sat down and called the twelve; and he said to them, "If any one would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all." And he took a child, and put him in the midst of them; and taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me." John said to him, "Teacher, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he was not following us." But Jesus said, "Do not forbid him; for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is for us. For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ, will by no means lose his reward."
A servant of Christ who is thirsty and then receives a cup of water from someone just because that servant belongs to Christ is an example on how the Kingdom of God is gained by humility and putting others first. Jesus told us to be like children and children know their place in the world. They look up to their elders for guidance, comfort, food and all manner of needs. Children do this in humility, knowing they are dependent upon someone else. So, too, we should receive the Kingdom of God in humility. Our works are nothing, it is only our faith and trust in He who provides all that unites us to God.

Today, I must be the servant of all, not putting my own needs first but rather seeing others as more important.  By doing this, I recieve the Kingdom of God in humility and receive the One Who sent Jesus, namely the Father, Who reveals Himself to mankind in His Son.  The smallest act of kindness I do for others- giving a glass of water- is an act of kindness I do for Christ. By receiving the least of all, I receive Christ.

O Lord, help me to embrace humility. Help me to put others first. I share a cup of water to those who bear Your Image and by doing so, I give the cup of water to You.  Lead me in paths of righteousness and accept my humble service. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment