Monday, February 11, 2013

Mark 10:46-52 - As Eager as Bartimaeus?



Now they came to Jericho. As He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great multitude, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the road begging.
 
And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
 
Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
 
So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, “Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you.”
 
And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus.
 
So Jesus answered and said to him, “What do you want Me to do for you?” The blind man said to Him, “Rabboni, that I may receive my sight.”
 
Then Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.
West Eager Street
Eager Street! This is where I need to live!
photo by Fredo Alvarez, used under the creative commons license.
check out more photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fredosan/
What a fantastic miracle. Simple and direct and exactly what Bartimaeus needed.Nothing would deter Bartimaeus from receiving what he needed from Jesus. Not the crowd telling him to be quiet. Not his own deficiency which could make him fearful of falling as he approached Jesus.  The Scriptures said that Bartimaeus threw aside his cloak when he was summoned by Jesus.  Why? Because he was of single purpose and cared for nothing in this life except to see Jesus and beg Him for his request of sight.

Bartimaeus is a picture of earnestness. Nothing keeps him from being with Jesus. Can the same be said for me?  Do I discard the things of this world as easily as Bartimaeus discards his cloak?  For I may not be physically blind but surely spiritual blindness afflicts me more than I realize. Day by day, I need to receive sight. So I have to run to Christ, ignoring the crowd who would hinder me and seek my healing. And Christ is more than eager to heal me.

.
O Lord, this day, may I eagerly seek you and your healing for my spiritual blindness.  Be of good cheer, O soul, Rise, He is calling you!

No comments:

Post a Comment