Monday, February 25, 2013

Mark 13:9-13 - Don't worry about What You are Going to Say.

The Lord said to his disciples, "Take heed to yourselves; for they will deliver you up to councils; and you will be beaten in synagogues; and you will stand before governors and kings for my sake, to bear testimony before them. And the gospel must first be preached to all nations. And when they bring you to trial and deliver you up, do not be anxious beforehand what you are to say; but say whatever is given you in that hour, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. And brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved."


According to Jesus, tough times are coming.  Yet, it should not be my concern on what answer I should give for a defense for following Christ, if it comes to the point I am brought up before "governors and kings" for the sake of the Gospel.  Rather, a total reliance upon the Holy Spirit to give Wisdom is what I am commanded to do.  And the Holy Spirit will be faithful to ensure the right words are spoken.

And if I am to be in that situation, what of it? Surely, I must remain steadfast so that I can endure till the end. This can only come about by constant prayer.  While I am not in that situation now, can I not learn to trust the Holy Spirit to provide words for me when words are needed? I could spend hours thinking and writing and re-writing to get the words just right but, perhaps, a simple reliance upon God, coupled with an attitude of prayer, will help me when I am confronted with any who ask about "the reason for the hope" (I Peter3:15) that is within me.  After all, if I am to endure till the end, it shall only because I trust in God.

O Lord, help me to rely upon you daily-no, make that, minute by minute, for surely at any time I should be ready to give an account to those around me and to You, O Heavenly Father.  How I need your Holy Spirit constantly and it for Your Presensce I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment