Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hebrews 12:28-13:8 - Our God is a Consuming Fire!

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire. Let brotherly love continue.Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. Remember the prisoners as if chained with them – those who are mistreated – since you yourselves are in the body also.Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”So we may boldly say: “The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct.

The All Consuming Fire
Fire Consumes!
photo by Flickr user S.F. Pitman, used under the creative commons license.
check out more photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfpitman/

We are to serve God with reverence and godly fear.  For the writer of Hebrews tells us that "Our God is a consuming fire." That phrase doesn't seem to be the best evangelism tool yet the statement is true for both believers and unbelievers.  For the unbeliever,  the presence of God is an unbearable and burning fire, which sears the being and scalds the soul.  His holiness in the presence of our sinfulness, burns.  
For the believer, he who it is who is daily conforming to the Image and likeness of Christ, this fire is a welcome radiance, purging out the debris of our souls, a purification  we readily accept. We all stand in the presence of God, who is everywhere  present and filling all things. Either we feel His presence as scourging or we feel His presence as Light.
This day, I pray, O Lord, may I embrace the Your fire. May it burn out the dross of my soul and radiate my life with Your Holy Spirit. I am sinful and full of imperfection yet I rely upon Your Mercy. For the Mercy of God, in the person of Christ, shall be my refuge always. And I am bold to say, The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. Amen. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment