Saturday, April 6, 2013

Mark 2:14-17 - The Doctor is here! Throw a Party!

As He passed by, He saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him. Now it happened, as He was dining in Levi’s house, that many tax collectors and sinners also sat together with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many, and they followed Him.  And when the scribes and Pharisees saw Him eating with the tax collectors and sinners, they said to His disciples, “How is it that He eats and drinks with tax collectors and sinners?” When Jesus heard it, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.
Happy Birthday Mary McDhui, Scully and all July celebrations
Ready for A Party!
photo by Flickr user Bulldog1, used under the creative commons.
check out more photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bulldogsrule/
Levi was just doing his job, collecting taxes on behalf of the Roman Government (and hated for it by his fellow countrymen) when Jesus said, "Follow Me." He got up and followed Him. Suddenly,  Levi had a new job. He was so happy to now be following Jesus that he threw a party in Christ's honor. All of Levi's tax collector friends were there and Jesus was not scandalized by associating with "these sinners. But the Pharisees despised Jesus for eating with such low society.  Jesus remarked that doctors are for sick people, not well people.  It is for the sinner that Jesus came, not those who don't realize their need of God.

I am among those whose soul needs a doctor.  I know that I am not righteous like the Pharisees are righteous  I will not spend my time worry about the hypocritical hearts of the Pharisees (for truly they are in need of a doctor just as much as the tax collector) but I have enough on my plate with my own sinfulness and it is enough for me to rejoice that Christ would call me to follow Him, sinful though I am.

O Lord, I rejoice in Your Grace and thank You for calling me. Help me to celebrate like Levi did and may all my friends see the celebration I feel in my soul for having You as my Physician. Heal me this day, I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment