Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Isaiah 40:18-31 - The Lord Lends His Strength to those that Ask!



To whom then will you liken God? Or what likeness will you compare to Him? The workman molds an image, The goldsmith overspreads it with gold, And the silversmith casts silver chains.  Whoever is too impoverished for such a contribution Chooses a tree that will not rot; He seeks for himself a skillful workman To prepare a carved image that will not totter.
 Have you not known? Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. He brings the princes to nothing; He makes the judges of the earth useless.Scarcely shall they be planted, Scarcely shall they be sown, Scarcely shall their stock take root in the earth, When He will also blow on them, And they will wither, And the whirlwind will take them away like stubble. “To whom then will you liken Me, Or to whom shall I be equal?” says the Holy One. Lift up your eyes on high, And see who has created these things, Who brings out their host by number; He calls them all by name, By the greatness of His might And the strength of His power; Not one is missing. Why do you say, O Jacob, And speak, O Israel: “My way is hidden from the Lord, And my just claim is passed over by my God”? Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable.
 He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.
Running Girl
Keep Running; the Lord will give you strength!
photo by flickr user aamono, used under the creative commons license.
check out more photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aarmono/
The Prophet begins be pointing out the folly of those would make idols and worship them.  A man will go through so much trouble and spend what he can in order to have an image shaped that he might call him 'god.' Yet, the Lord looks around- He who created all and deposes princes at will- and asks, "Who is like Me?" and the answer, of course, is no one. The Lord who created and maintains His creation marvels that people would think that their way is hidden from the everlasting God for the Lord does not weary so you can not do an act while He is sleeping in hopes of Him not noticing it. The Lord is mighty and He gives that power to those who wait upon Him. Yes, even the young and the strong must at one point falter yet the one who waits upon the Lord shall have their strength renewed.

How wise it would be for me to remember that the Lord of creation sees all. How wise it would be to remember that He does not grow tired as I grow tired but, instead, gives strength to those who wait for Him.  In my journey on this earth, may I ask the Lord to renew my strength for I am bound to grow more weary than the next.  I want to hold on till the end. I want the Lord to help me to run and not be weary.

O Lord, who never tires and lends His strengths to those who ask, I pray Thee, grant me to run the course till the end.  May I know your strength as it  enlivens me to run with great enthusiasm for surely I run with the Lord of all creation. Grant me, who is weak, Your strenght. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment